Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Testaccio

Today I went to the Roman neighborhood of Testaccio. I guess it is considered Southern Rome. It is relatively close to me, just across the Tiber. I've run through it many times and so I have really wanted to go back to see the few sights. Actually, my first Thursday here, Steve and I went to the Protestant Cemetery, which is in Testaccio. But anyway, I went first to the Testaccio covered market. In the last few years, they put the market into a brand-new, modern facility for the market. I saw Macro, the modern art gallery. There is a bird's nest structure in the courtyard that is very fascinating--but it was closed when I was there so I couldn't climb it. Then I revisited the Protestant Cemetery--probably one of my favorite places in Rome. I was getting hungry so I headed to Eataly, a big grocery store thing. It is hard to explain. It is like Whole Foods but with more places to eat while there. It was overwhelming at first, but then I settled down and got a delicious slice of pizza. To drink, I bought a blood-orange soda, which took me forever to take the lid off. As I drank my soda, I headed toward Saint Paul Outside the Walls basilica. It is huge--it was the largest church in the world until the New Saint Peter's was built. Along the top of the walls are portraits of all the popes--and empty spaces for future popes. No day-out is complete without gelato. I went to Danielgelo--it was good but tasted like soft-serve. Long day out--about six hours!

Testaccio Market

MACRO

Protestant Cemetery

Eataly

Saint Paul

balloons! 

No comments:

Post a Comment